sáb, 03 jun|
LIFT Magnolia Place
LIFT Coastal Transit to Trails: Yanga (Los Angeles) Past, Present, Future
Looking to connect with our local museum, then join Community Nature Connection for a Transit to Trails program from the Magnolia Place to the Natural History Museum with LIFT on Saturday, June 3 2023 from 8:30am-4:50pm !
Time & Location
03 jun, 8:30 – 16:50
LIFT Magnolia Place, 1910 Magnolia Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90007, USA
About the Event
To better prepare for our trip, we are asking participants to please give yourself about 5-10 minutes to read the following
What the Day Will Look Like:
Meet-up location: Magnolia Place parking area,1910 Magnolia Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90007
- Upon arrival, CNC and LIFT staff will check-in folks and have community members sign waivers. Once everyone is gathered, we will dive into an ice breaker. We will then board our bus and make our way to the Natural History Museum which will take about 30 minutes (traffic pending). The bus will drop us off at the Natural History Museum south lawn, during our walk to the site, we ask folks to be alert and stay close to the group because we will be strolling through a populated area. Please bring a mask to use during our bus ride to and from Magnolia Place.
- Once we get to the Natural History Museum, CNC staff will welcome us to the site and share why Los Angeles is a vital place for humans, plants, and animals–a biodiverse space! Our stroll to the entrance will consist of a concrete and dirt path, and eventually ending into the lower Otis Booth Pavilion room where we will be during part of our program and eventually have lunch in the space. We recommend bringing shoes that are comfortable to be in throughout the day. Our day will consist of moving through the museum space as we discover what Los Angeles looked like before to inform the present and reflect on where we are now. We will have a museum educator talk to us about nature in LA history and we will get to visit the LA Underwater exhibit and the Nature Lab which will then be followed by lunch.
- After lunch, for about an hour and a half, we will have the opportunity to enjoy the museum at our own leisure. During this free time you will have the opportunity to participate in a Nature Lab scavenger hunt where the museum will issue prizes for the winners! CNC staff will let the group know when to return back as a group so that we can potentially visit the Butterfly Pavilion (subject to change).
- At around 4pm we will gather all of our belongings and wrap up to head back to the entrance of the Natural History Museum south lawn area and hold a closing circle to then board our bus and head back to Magnolia.
We expect Los Angeles to be partly sunny with a high of 67° and low temperatures at 59° as the day gets cooler with a bit of rain in the evening; otherwise, mostly cloudy (subject to change), so please layer up with thin layers that can easily be added or removed (think of layers like an onion)! Please bring a rain jacket in case we potentially face some rain at the end of our program.
What to Bring:
A nice filling lunch, comfortable shoes, enough water (2 bottles), a backpack to carry your belongings, and curiosity to learn and enjoy the space.
- Please arrive on the corner of Magnolia Place on time (5-10 mins early) to ensure that you are able to board the bus and join us.
- We will be together from 8:30am-4:50pm (approximately 8 hours)
- Wear comfortable/close-toed shoes (We will be strolling throughout the museum)
- Bring proper layers for weather that can range from; sunny and warm to protect you from UV sun rays; to cloudy and chilly to keep you nice and warm
- Be prepared to be/move around for most of our time at the Natural History Museum
If you need any access needs to make your trip as comfortable as possible or need to communicate anything to CNC staff to ensure a pleasurable experience in our Transit to Trails, please reach out to our Program Coordinator Zee Zetino, email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org
Please familiarize yourself with the following: